Thursday 3 May 2012

I can't Carra on for ever

By: Marwan Hashim

FINAL SAY ... Jamie Carragher knows his time is running out



JAMIE CARRAGHER says this year’s FA Cup final means more to him than his two previous appearances in the showpiece.


The Liverpool defender won the Cup in 2001 and 2006. But he insists Saturday’s showdown against Chelsea holds more importance as he nears the end of his career.
Carragher said: “Realistically there is not much time left for me. You always have that fear it might be your last.
“When you get to the stage of my career you always think ‘Will I ever get a chance to play in this kind of game again?’
“From a personal point of view, because of my age and situation, it probably does feel a little more important or special because I may not see many of these days again.
“It makes it even more important even though we’ve played plenty of these games before.”
Carragher, 34, knows he is at the stage of his career where he is not guaranteed a start at Wembley.
But he says he has now come to accept that situation and will be fully behind the 11 who take to the field.
He said: “I have got to the stage where if I play, great, if I don’t then I understand it now because I’ve missed more games this season than I have before.
“I have got my head around it a bit more. I was on the bench in the last cup final and got on in the end.
“I don’t think I have to do anything differently to the rest of my time with Liverpool, just train the way I train.
“If you play, great. If you don’t, support the lads and respect the manager’s decision.
“We all win together. It doesn’t matter who plays, who’s on the bench, who comes on.
“If we win, it’ll say Liverpool won. We’re all part of the club and that is what we want.
“The main thing is for us is winning. If you are on the bench you still get a medal.”

No comments:

Post a Comment